Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tuesday's Tiny Treasures 10 Favorite Children's Books to Read With Your Baby


Kids have a place in our hearts that nothing else compares to and there are so many special treasures to share as parents. I love reading to my daughter, whether it’s before bed or if she just brings me a book to read throughout the day. It gives us our cuddle time and I absolutely love it. 

Here’s a list of 10 of my daughter and I’s favorite children’s books to read together. Being only 10 months old (today to be exact) she struggles with the longer books, but if the stories and pictures are good, I can always tell she’s interested :)

#1 Can’t You Sleep, Little Bear? by  Martin Waddell and Barbara Firth
This is probably my favorite children’s book of all time. Even as a kid it was one of my favorites. This was the very first book we ever read to Bella and we recorded the special moment. The story revolves around Little Bear and Big Bear. Little Bear is put to bed, but it ends up being too dark for him to feel secure enough to fall asleep. Big Bear then gives Little Bear lanterns of all sizes until finally Big Bear takes Little Bear outside to see  the moon and the stars. Big Bear explains that the moon and the stars will provide all the light he will need when it’s dark and Little Bear is finally able to fall asleep in Big Bear’s arms. This book has a great story and if you have kids and have not read this, go out and buy it today! You need this in your life! You can buy this for around $6 at Walmart.


#2 I love My Mommy by David Bedford and Brenna Vaughan 

I Love My Mommy was a new book for me. Before Bella was born, I went to Barnes and Noble and bought several new books. This one happened to be one of them. A baby deer and his mommy ventured off away from their yard for a change of scenery. Mommy  Deer lets Baby Deer lead the way and once he’s ready to go back, he must find his way on his own with his Mommy trailing right behind in case he needs her. It is just a really cute book with a good message for us mommy’s as well as our babies. I definitely recommend checking this book out. There is also a book by the same authors called I Love My Daddy which features Daddy Squirrel and Baby Squirrel. These can be purchased for around $7.98 at Barnes and Noble.



#3 Hush, Little Polar Bear by Jeff Mack

This story is short and sweet, but has some really cute illustrations that Bella loves. A little girl tells the story of her stuffed polar bear traveling the world before coming back to lay with her and cuddle up next to her for the night. It’s super simple and super sweet.
Barnes and Noble has this online for $7.19. You can get this in stores as well.





#4 Wherever You Are, My Love Will Find You by Nancy Tillman
I discovered a love for Nancy Tillman once I purchased this as well as another book that will be on this list. This sweet little book shows our babies just how much we love them. The illustrations are beautiful and I have to say that this is probably more of my favorite than Bella’s because every time I read a certain page, I cry. It is very heartfelt and I love it. Barnes and Noble has this book for around $8.




#5 Disney 5 Minute Snuggle Stories Minnie Mouse: Scaredy Cat Sleepover
Other than this story just featuring classic characters, it’s just a cute story. Minnie Mouse  decides to spend the night at Daisy’s house and they decide to watch a scary movie. Once it’s over, they go to bed yet neither one of them can sleep. They both hear scratching noises and see shadows. I won’t tell you the rest since I don’t want to spoil the ending. On another note, I simply like reading this with Bella because I enjoy doing Minnie’s voice :) You can purchase this set of stories at Walmart for a little over $10.




#6 Doggies by Sandra Boynton
Such a simple book that is so much fun to read. The whole point is to help our babies learn to count in a fun way. The illustrations are cute and unique and it’s always fun to bark in different “voices” for each different doggy. I loved Sandra Boynton as a kid and I love her even more as a mom. Barnes and Noble has this book for $5.99.






#7 Snuggle Puppy: A Little Love Song by Sandra Boynton
Sandra Boynton makes the list again. I didn’t have this particular book when I was a kid, but I say it at Barnes and Noble and had to have it. It consists of a mommy dog singing a love song to her puppy and it’s a lot of fun to make up my own tune to the story and sing to Bella (I’m not sure she enjoys it as much as I do lol). Get this at Barnes and Noble for $5.99 as well.





#8 Toot by Leslie Patricelli
I like this book for some really immature reasons, but who cares! Obviously, I’m not the only one who thinks it’s funny or it wouldn’t be in existence. We actually got this book from Bella’s babysitter for Christmas. It was literally the PERFECT gift for us. It basically  focuses around a baby who talks about tooting. That’s it. Funny and cute, what more could you want? Get this book at Barnes and Noble for $6.99.







#9 On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
I’ve pretty much explained my love for Nancy Tillman previously and this book just expands on that. Basically, all the animals, moon, stars, and so much more welcome the baby on the night they were born. It is sweet and I love it. Barnes and Noble has this book for around $14.








#10 God Gave Us You by Lisa Bergren
Not only does this book have beautiful art, it has a beautiful story as well. Momma Bear tells Baby Bear all about how God gave us you and Baby Bear asks several questions. It is just a really cute book. There are several other books like this one including God Gave Us Christmas, God Gave Us Easter, God Gave Us Two, and many more. Check it out at Barnes and Noble for $9.99.







Extra Favorites(Grandma and Papa Rick)

Grandma’s Favorite: The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog by Ana Martin LarraƱaga
This just so happens to be more of my favorite than Bella’s. Every time my mom comes to visit I have her read this book so I can laugh. The main reason is because she adds a little bit of her input and it makes it hilarious.


Papa Rick’s Favorite: The Little Red Hen by Paul Galdone
Although this book is meant for the story behind it, my dad adds a spin on it which makes me laugh even to this day. I love having him read this story with Bella every time he sees her.



What are your favorite books to read with your kids?










No comments:

Post a Comment