Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Tuesday's Tiny Treasures: What Should My Child Read?


One fantastic thing about being a parent is that you are able to help your children pick books when they can't decide what to read next. I have started looking for titles that would be great for any of my kids to read as they get older. The book that is forefront in my mind today is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. Many schools have kids read this book, but I think I may even begin reading this to Bella before bed. I would like to read it myself so I figured why not read it to her while I'm at it.

The Phantom Tollbooth follows the main character, Milo, who is a young boy. He is surrounded by his black and white sketches and eventually finds himself falling into them into the The Kingdom of Wisdom. This then leads to debates as to which is more important, words or numbers. Once he rescues the Princess of Rhyme and Reason to restore peace to the kingdom, Milo finds himself once again enjoying life as it is supposed to be.

This book is great for letting children question the world a little bit more than they already do and it is just as great for the adult reader. Many people remember reading this as kids and it is strongly suggested that those that loved this book as children should continue to re-read it as adults. I will for sure be checking this out at the library or buying it for my personal library.

Did you read this book as a child or maybe even as an adult? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below. I would love to hear your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment